Note that the smaller you chop your vegetables, the faster they will cook. We like to finely dice the onion. celery and carrot, and cut the squash and apple into 1/2-inch chunks. For a variation add a couple dashes of smoked paprika and/or swirl in a little sour cream at the end (off the heat).
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped (squash and apple should be at a 3 to 1 ratio)
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegetarian)*
- 1 cup water
- Pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper
Method1 Set a large saucepan over medium-high heat and heat the butter for 1-2 minutes. Do not let it turn brown. Add the onion, celery and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes, taking care to turn the heat down if the vegetables begin to brown.
2 Add squash, apple, broth and water. Bring to boil. Cover, turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until squash and carrots soften. Puree, and return to a clean pot.
3 Add salt and spices to taste, and garnish with chives or parsley.
Yield: Serves 4-6.
Simply Recipes http://www.simplyrecipes.com